There is so much to adore about this Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas recipe. It will have everyone coming back for more!
This Mexican-style cheesy chicken enchilada bake is so easy to prepare. It is comforting and great for those cold weather days, or for any time of year! Topped with enchilada sauce, it’s a spicy, cheesy casserole dish that’s easy to make and perfect for potlucks or family dinners.
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- It will be hard not to love these cheesy, creamy, and flavorful enchiladas. This casserole-style entrée goes from the oven to the table in less than an hour! Making it the best for those nights on the go.
- It is also perfect for potlucks and parties, too. Prep in the morning and keep it in the refrigerator until it’s time to bake, just don’t forget all of your favorite toppings.
- Serve these with a side of sour cream, some Grilled Corn Guacamole, or serve it with this Homemade Salsa Recipe.
- Speed prep up and make it with leftover Shredded Chicken and season it with the taco seasoning and diced tomatoes.
Ingredients & Variations
CHEESE What’s the best kind of cheese with this recipe? Pepper jack is a great option, but any Mexican blend or even sharp cheddar will work— just use lots of it!
CHICKEN Use boneless, skinless chicken for these yummy enchiladas. Leftover chicken, turkey, or ground beef are also great options. Or opt for a vegetarian version by adding diced vegetables.
TORTILLAS Corn tortillas are the more traditional choice for enchiladas and the 8-inch tortillas will fit nicely in a casserole dish. Flour tortillas will hold up better and provide chewier texture to enchiladas.
VARIATIONS Add a few jalapeno peppers to the enchiladas for an extra kick. Or top with some olives, Picante sauce, green chilis, or diced tomatoes.
PRO TIP: To keep tortillas from falling apart during assembly, place the tortillas (either kind) between layers of moistened paper towels and heat them in the microwave, for about 20 seconds.
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas
The best chicken enchiladas are sure to be hit at dinner.
- Saute veggies in a skillet. Add chicken, taco seasoning, & tomatoes.
- Spread enchilada sauce in the baking dish.
- Roll chicken mixture in the tortillas and place in dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese then bake (per the recipe below).
What to Serve with Chicken Enchiladas
Enchiladas are a great entrée on their own, but they would pair nicely with bright and tangy tomato salad, or some mojito fresh fruit salsa with honey lime crisps. Don’t forget the refreshing watermelon sangria!
- Keep leftover cheesy chicken enchiladas in the freezer covered with plastic wrap. Reheat individual servings in the microwave and serve with fresh toppings.
- Freeze an entire entrée of cheesy chicken enchiladas by lining the casserole dish with aluminum foil that is 6 inches longer on both sides. Freeze and then remove the enchiladas from the casserole dish (this saves the dish for another use). Enchiladas will keep about 3 months in the freezer.
More Mexican Meals
- Taco Casserole – with a surprise crust
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – just 3 ingredients!
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole – dinner in under an hour
- Fajita Pasta – creamy and spicy!
- Taco Salad Bowl– with creamy avocado dressing
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute onions and peppers in oil over medium heat until tender. Add chicken, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and ½ cup water. Simmer 5 minutes or until water has evaporated.
- Add 1 cup of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish.
- Place ¼ cup of the chicken mixture on a tortilla and top with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Roll up and place seam down onto the enchilada sauce in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese. Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
- Rest 5 minutes, add your favorite toppings and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe!