Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
One of our most popular recipes, Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas are the delish dish that will have everyone coming back for more!
We make Mexican style food easy with this cheesy chicken enchilada bake that’s just in time for colder weather! It’s a spicy and cheesy casserole dish that’s easy to make and perfect for potlucks or family dinners.
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
PIN IT your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentslessMeals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Chicken Enchilada Bake
We love enchiladas and this casserole style entrée goes from the oven to the table in less than an hour! Perfect for potlucks and parties, too! Prep in the morning and keep it in the refrigerator until it’s time to bake, don’t forget your favorite toppings!
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken enchiladas are so good when they are fresh out of the oven with all that melty cheese. But what’s the best kind? We use pepper jack in this recipe but any Mexican blend or even sharp cheddar will work— just use lots of it! And if you have leftover veggies, dice them up and make vegetarian enchiladas! Use up leftover chicken, turkey, or ground beef and stretch that budget!
Flour or Corn Tortillas?
Corn tortillas are the more traditional choice for enchiladas and the 8-inch tortillas will fit nicely in a casserole dish. Flour tortillas will hold up better and provide chewier texture to enchiladas.
PRO TIP: To keep tortillas from falling apart during assembly, place the tortillas (either kind) between layers of moistened paper towels and heat them in the microwave, about 20 seconds.
How Do You Make Chicken Enchiladas
Sauté onions and peppers in oil until they are tender. Add chicken, seasonings, tomatoes, and water, cook until thickened.
- Spread 1 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Make an enchilada by spooning some of the chicken mixture into the center of a tortilla, add some cheese. Roll up enchilada and place in the casserole dish, seam side down. Continue with the rest of the tortillas.
- Top with remainder of sauce and cover with shredded cheese. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake.
- Remove foil and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Place small bowls of toppings out so everyone can create their own enchilada masterpiece! Here’s a list of favorites:
- Sour cream
- Grilled Corn Guacamole
- Homemade Salsa
- Picante Sauce
- Green chilis
- Black olives
- Diced tomatoes
What To Serve With Chicken Enchiladas
Enchiladas are a great entrée on their own, but we like to include a bright and tangy tomato salad, or some mojito fresh fruit salsa with honey lime crisps. Don’t forget the refreshing watermelon sangria!
- Keep leftover cheesy chicken enchiladas in the freezer covered with plastic wrap. Reheat individual servings in the microwave and serve with fresh toppings.
- Freeze an entire entrée of cheesy chicken enchiladas by lining the casserole dish with aluminum foil that is 6 inches longer on both sides. Freeze and then remove the enchiladas from the casserole dish (this saves the dish for another use). Enchiladas will keep about 3 months in the freezer.
Other Tex Mex Dinner Ideas!
- Taco Casserole – with a surprise crust.
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – just 3 ingredients!
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole – dinner in under an hour.
- Fajita Pasta – creamy and spicy!
- Taco Salad Bowl– with creamy avocado dressing.
This Chicken Enchilada Bake is a delish Mexican style casserole that is so easy to make!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ green pepper diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can tomatoes with chili peppers
- ½ cup water
- 8 corn tortillas or flour
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese or tex mex cheese blend
- 28 ounces enchilada sauce
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Saute onions and peppers in oil over medium heat until tender. Add chicken, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and ½ cup water. Simmer 5 minutes or until water has evaporated.
Add 1 cup of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish.
Place ¼ cup of the chicken mixture on a tortilla and top with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Roll up and place seam down onto the enchilada sauce in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Top with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese. Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
Rest 5 minutes, add your favorite toppings and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)