Tater Tot Hotdish
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tater Tot Hotdish, also known as Tater Tot Casserole, is a classic comfort food recipe best known in Minnesota. This recipe is a combination of five ingredients you will most likely already have on hand – ground beef, onion, cream of mushroom soup, corn and tater tots.
Tater Tot Hotdish
Pin it to your CASSEROLES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I’m not from Minnesota. I’ve only been there a couple of times. I grew up in California and I had actually never heard of a Tater Tot Hotdish until recently. Tater Tots? You bet. I love them. But I had no idea what a hotdish, let alone a tater tot hotdish was.
What is Tater Tot Hot Dish?
Turns out, a hotdish is just another name for casserole. Speaking of casseroles, if this hotdish recipe looks good, you’ll definitely want to make Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole or how about a Pierogi Casserole?
I wanted to make sure that when I made this tater tot hotdish recipe, I stayed true to how Minnesotans enjoy it. Turns out I’m lucky enough to have a good friend from Minnesota who was happy to advise me.
You see, the West Coast girl in me wanted to add all sorts of ingredients, namely vegetables, to my hotdish. My friend said that wouldn’t be a true Minnesotan hotdish, so I stuck with just corn.
How to Make Tater Tot Hotdish
If you’re looking for a Tater Tot Hotdish without cream of mushroom soup, this isn’t the recipe you’re looking for. But let me tell you, this super simple recipe tastes amazing.
Some recipes make tater tot hotdish with sour cream, however, I would only do that if I were to incorporate some sauteed mushrooms, basically making my own cream of mushroom soup.
With the combination of ingredients used, I felt the dish had plenty of creamy texture and great flavor. The cheese wasn’t needed at all but of course you can add cheese to make this into a cheesy Tater Tot Hotdish!
How do you cook a Tater Tot Casserole?
Cooking Tater Tot Hotdish couldn’t be easier!
- Brown ground beef and onions. I’m sure plenty of hotdish recipes out there don’t call for onion however, I think it adds a ton of great flavor and texture.
- Transfer it to a baking dish, or you can cook the casserole in the pan you cooked the meat in if it’s large enough and oven safe.
- Add the corn to the top of the meat and then top that with the cream of mushroom soup.
- Cover with a single layer of tater tots and bake
How Long to Cook Tater Tot Hotdish
This casserole cooks about 45 minutes. If you’d like to make it ahead of time this tater tot hotdish can be refrigerated overnight before baking.
Remove it from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before baking (while the oven heats up). If you like the tater tots extra crispy, allow them to defrost a bit before you bake them.
More Casserole Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Easy Tuna Casserole
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 - 14 ounce can corn drained
- 2 - 11 ounce cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 pounds tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once meat is starting to brown and is crumbly, remove from heat.
- Either transfer meat mixture to a 9x13 casserole dish or keep it in the skillet if it is 12" diameter and oven safe. Top with corn, then cream of mushroom soup, then tater tots.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until everything is heated through and tater tots are crisp on the outside.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love