This creamy Chicken Poppyseed Casserole is a 2-step, quick and easy weeknight dinner!
This hot dish is still fancy enough for a take-and-bake party or potluck! This poppy seed chicken casserole recipe has all the savory ingredients of a hearty casserole, but it’s the crispy, crunchy topping made with ritz crackers that makes it so memorable!
Chicken Poppyseed Casserole
PIN IT to your CASSEROLES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Why We Love this Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Just two steps and pop in the oven! Dinner is done in less than an hour!
- Use cooked chicken to save on prep and clean up!
- This recipe is a real crowd pleaser!
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: Pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe, taking prep time to a minimum! But, leftover meat like turkey, ground beef, even ground sausage will work!
SAUCE: The key is in the sauce! Cream of chicken soup creates a velvety base and some Greek yogurt, cheddar and mozzarella, and a handful of herbs and seasonings give the casserole its rich flavor. Switch out the cream of chicken for mushroom or even cream of celery, or if sodium is an issue, simply use heavy whipping cream.
TOPPING: Chicken poppyseed casserole with ritz crackers for a topping makes an ordinary dish extraordinary! Or try crushed pretzels or even potato chips. Add some shredded parmesan to the topping for a cheesier flavor.
EXTRAS: And experiment with egg noodles, or serve it over white or brown rice. Even a colorful addition of broccoli florets or green peas will give the dish a boost of color and nutrition! The poppy seeds give the casserole its signature look and the ritz crackers create a crispy, buttery flavored topping!
How to Make Chicken Poppyseed Casserole
Easiest casserole ever, this one is ready in 1, 2, 3!
- Combine all of the casserole ingredients together and spread into a prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle on topping and bake (per recipe below) until heated through and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it sit 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
What To Serve With Poppy Seed Chicken
This casserole is so easy to pair sides with! Delicious served with brown sugar glazed carrots, jalapeno cornbread, some Chinese broccoli and a bright and crispy spinach and strawberry salad, or an easy greek salad. Don’t forget the best cheesy bread ever and finish the night with some strawberry shortcake bars or white chocolate macadamia nut cookies!
Time Saving Tips
Using pre-cooked chicken is a huge shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken and shred the meat. Use some for this recipe, then save or store the rest in the freezer for future soups, stews, and salads!
Prepare the casserole and keep it covered in the refrigerator up to 2 days before topping and baking. Make a double batch and scoop uncooked filling into a zippered bag. Then label with the date on the outside. Freeze up to 4 weeks. Thaw the filling overnight in the refrigerator, add to the casserole dish, then top and bake.
Other Easy Chicken Casseroles To Try!
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole – dinner in under 1 hour.
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole – only 10 minutes to prep!
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – delicious twist on a classic recipe
- Chicken Bacon Alfredo Roll-Ups – easy and creamy!
- Biscuit Turkey Casserole – delicious with chicken too!
Chicken Poppyseed Casserole
- 9x13 baking dish
- 4 ½ cups cooked chicken cut or shredded to small bite size pieces
- 1 ½ cans cream of chicken condensed soup using 10.5 oz cans – about 16 oz
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup bacon bits (or cooked bacon), optional
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups ritz crackers crushed
- ½ cup salted butter (or 1 stick salted butter), melted
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix together casserole ingredients and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Mix crushed ritz crackers and melted butter. Crumble topping over casserole mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes.