This Pumpkin Angel Food Cake recipe is light, fluffy, and flavorful.
This recipe is such a great way to incorporate the goodness of pumpkin with the delicate indulgence of angel food. So light and dreamy you will definitely want a second piece! This base of this angel food cake is made quick and easy with a box of angel food cake mix. Add some canned pumpkin, spice and of course, a dollop of whip cream, and the best dessert is made!
Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
PIN IT to your DESSERTS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What is Angel Food Cake
- This angel food cake is deliciously light and fluffy and loaded with fall flavor. In this adaptation, the pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice are added to the cake mix to create this deliciously different dessert!
- This angel food cake is made almost entirely from egg whites and flour meaning there is literally no fat in this cake (except for the icing).
- To make angel food cake from scratch is a labor-intensive process that uses a lot of eggs so this yummy recipe uses a shortcut to produce a delicious cake without all of the fuss!
Ingredients & Variations
CAKE MIX Typically angel food cake is a soft and delicate cake that is so sumptuous. Homemade angel food cake made from scratch takes a long time and a lot of eggs. This recipe speeds up with process with a premade mix of angel food cake.
THE PUMPKIN You’ll want to ensure you’re using pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling (or pumpkin pie mix). The puree is exactly that, just the pumpkin in pure form and pureed.
THE SPICE Use a store-bought pumpkin spice or tray making one a home with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, and ⅛ teaspoon cloves.
How to Make Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
Make this easy and deliciously different dessert.
- Make and bake the angel food cake (as per the recipe below).
- Mix the topping and spread over cooled cake
Tips for the Best Cake
- Angel food cakes are baked and then cooled upside down because the egg whites are so delicate they need gravity to help them stay put. If cooled right side up, the cake would simply collapse upon itself due to its weight.
- Most angel food cake pans have ‘feet’ for this step. If using an old pan without the ‘feet’ simply invert the hot cake and set the middle (or tube) on a small bowl.
- Once cooled, run a knife around the outside of the cake as well as around the inner tube part of the pan in order to remove the light, fluffy confection! It can now be placed upright on a cake dish and iced with the topping.
- Because of its delicate nature, an angel food cake can be difficult to cut. It is best to use a serrated knife and make smooth even strokes at an angle to avoid tearing.
- Cover the angel food with foil or plastic wrap and it should keep for about 1 week in the fridge. Properly wrapped angel food, using foil or plastic wrap, should keep its quality for about 4 to 6 months in the freezer.
- Mixed Berry Dump Cake – everyone loves a dump cake!
- Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake – so chocolatey
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake – moist and airy
- Lemon Orange Cake – a little bit of tang!
Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
- 1 box white angel food cake mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup cold water
- 8 ounces whipped topping 1 tub
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack on the bottom position.
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large bowl and mix on medium for 1 minute. Pour into an ungreased angel food cake pan.
- Bake 38-42 minutes or until cracks on top appear dry.
- Remove from oven and invert pan upside down. Cool 3 hours upside down.
- Combine whipped topping and pumpkin pie spice. Spread over cooled cake.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.