Pineapple lovers unite…this time under the banner of old-fashioned rice pudding! For all you fans of rice pudding, here’s a tropical twist on an old favorite – Pineapple Rice Pudding! Tangy pineapple and whipped cream transform this creamy dessert into the best recipe for rice cream pudding out there!
This version of cold rice pudding is so outrageously good! For pineapple lovers, desserts like Pineapple Upside Down Cake or Pineapple Sheet Cake are sure to be a hit, and this one is no different. You can even try making it into a coconut pineapple Pina Colada style rice pudding!
Pineapple Rice Pudding
Pin it your DESSERTS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
How To Make Rice Pudding
- Make the rice according to the recipe. If you are using leftover rice, I suggest using regular milk or even coconut milk instead of water, and just soaking the grains in this combination until they plump up.
- Gently stir drained pineapple into cooled rice mixture.
- Fold in whipped cream, chill, and serve. You can even put a cherry on top if you like! (An umbrella might be carrying it too far? 🙂
Tip: You could use another type of fruit if you want to experiment! My Hungarian friend even makes rice pudding with grapes and gelatin! So don’t be afraid to mix it up!
What Rice Is The Best For Rice Pudding?
- Arborio Rice – With it’s small grains and starchy consistency, Arborio rice is perfect for things like risotto or… pudding! It cooks up super creamy and thick!
- Long Grain Rice – It’s totally fine to use ordinary long grain rice. Your dessert may be a little lighter and less creamy, which some people actually prefer. Follow your own tastes and preferences!
The only rice I don’t suggest using is brown rice, or any type of whole grain rice. It really won’t be quite the same since whole grains won’t absorb or match tastes with the pineapple juice very well. So, if white rice is off the menu, it’s probably better to go for a different dessert altogether… or just mix these ingredients with something like cottage cheese, for a lower carb option!
How Long Does It Last?
Cooked rice lasts up to 4 to days in the fridge and homemade whipped cream should last 2 to 3 days. Combined with pineapple, rice pudding with cream may not last as long because of the acid found in tropical fruits. Use your judgement, and don’t eat it if seems off!
Can You Freeze Rice Pudding?
You can freeze rice pudding for up to three months. However the sooner you eat it, the better it will taste so I don’t recommend keeping it for super long in the freezer. As a general rule, cream and milk based desserts don’t love to be frozen, especially when mixed with an acidic fruit like pineapple, but you could easily use cool whip instead.
Enjoy it with your family after dinner tonight!
Other Delicious Fruit Desserts To Try!
Strawberry Pretzel Dessert – a fruit filled classic.
Cherry Cream Cheese Dessert – creamy and delicious.
Berry Fluff Pie – so easy to make!
Crock Pot Apple Cobbler Recipe – simple crock pot recipe.
Classic Peach Galette – so fresh.
Pineapple Rice Pudding
- Combine rice, water, pineapple juice, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 13-15 minutes.
- Lightly mix in crushed pineapple and let cool.
- Whip heavy cream with sugar, and fold in. Chill for at least one hour before serving.
Recipe adapted from my Grandma’s 1959 Church Cookbook.