This Nacho Mac N’ Cheese is the tastiest twist on an old classic mac n cheese recipe!
Who doesn’t love an easy mac n cheese recipe that is perfectly spiced and deliciously different? This creamy, cheesy pasta is mixed with southwest spice and a handful of poblano peppers.
Best of all, this is just one of the delicious dishes you can have delivered right to your doorstep from our partners at HelloFresh!
We are excited to partner with HelloFresh and their delicious meal kits to bring you this amazing recipe!
Nacho Mac N’ Cheese
PIN IT to your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
An Easy 30 Minute Meal
Honestly, who doesn’t love a good creamy cheesy pasta?! Even better when it shows up on your doorstep and is on your table in less than 30 minutes thanks to HelloFresh.
Creamy and cheesy with just the perfect amount of southwest inspired flavor, this Nacho Mac ‘N’ Cheese recipe delivers on all counts!
As you know, we love things that are quick and effortless around here and HelloFresh totally fits the bill! It’s all pre-portioned (and the cheese is shredded already too!), and best of all, it’s delivered right to your door!
Aside from making dinner super easy, HelloFresh really inspires creative dinner ideas since we can choose from Low-Calorie, Vegetarian, and Family Friendly recipes with all different kinds of cuisines from Mexican to Italian!
SAVE $90 across 4 boxes, including free shipping on the first box via this link to try HelloFresh for yourself. You can find all of their great recipes on their site too!
Ingredients and Variations
PASTA – Cavatappi is the perfect pasta here because it has enough surface space to cling to the cheesy sauce.
CHEESE – Made with 4 different kinds of creamy and melty cheese, including delicious smoky red pepper crema, this easy mac n cheese recipe is the grown-up version of a kid favorite!
VEGGIES – A variety of spicy poblano peppers and scallions. The HelloFresh vegetables are always so…, well,… fresh!!
FLAVOR BOOSTERS – A dash or two of hot sauce, southwest spice blend (I love that it is pre-measured with HelloFresh!), and garlic give this a flavor boost. Corn tortilla chips add both flavor and crunch.
How To Make Mac n Cheese
Stovetop macaroni and cheese has never been easier! I mean, HelloFresh has more 5-star recipes than any other meal kit, so no matter what you pick, you’ll get a winner!
- While pasta is cooking, fry up poblano peppers & seasonings per the recipe below.
- Add sauce ingredients including cream cheese and once smooth, stir in the shredded cheese.
- Toss with pasta, top with crushed chips, and bake and bake!
- Start with room temperature butter and cream cheese so it melts easier.
- Al dente pasta means it’s just barely done so it stays firm for the rest of the recipe prep!
- Macaroni and cheese can be frozen, but the noodles may be less firm. After thawing, drain any liquid and refresh with extra cheese before reheating it in the oven.
Take mac n cheese to the next level with this great recipe! It’s rich and creamy, with a little southwestern kick. This Nacho Mac N Cheese goes with everything. Serve it with tortilla chips, some homemade salsa, and grilled corn guacamole! We love nacho mac n cheese with a delicious caprese salad and some lemon parmesan asparagus for a totally vegetarian entrée!
Nacho Mac N’ Cheese
- 2 scallions
- 2 Poblano peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons smoky Red Pepper Crema
- 12 ounce Cavatappi Pasta
- 2 tablespoons Southwest Spice Blend
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces blue corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Heat broiler to high. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry all produce. Core, deseed, and dice poblano into ½-inch pieces. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Peel and mince garlic. Place smoky red pepper crema in a small bowl. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once water is boiling, add Cavatappi to pot. Cook until al dente, 9-11 minutes. Drain
- While pasta cooks, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium, preferably ovenproof, pan over medium heat (use a large pan for 4 servings). Add poblano and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons butter, scallion whites, garlic, and Southwest Spice; cook, stirring, until butter melts and scallion whites are softened, 1 minute.
- Stir flour into pan and cook until pasty, 1 minute. Gradually stir in ¾ cup water until fully combined. Add cream cheese and cook, stirring, until fully incorporated and sauce has thickened, 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat; stir in cheddar until melted and smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir drained cavatappi into pan with sauce until coated. Taste and season with salt if needed. If mixture is too thick, add a splash more water. TIP: If your pan isn’t ovenproof, transfer mixture now to a baking dish. Using your hands, crush tortilla chips and evenly sprinkle over mac ’n’ cheese. Top with an even layer of Mexican cheese. Broil until cheese melts, 2-3 minutes. TIP: Watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Drizzle mac ’n’ cheese with smoky red pepper crema. Top with scallion greens and as much hot sauce as you like. Serve.