I love choosing chicken breast as the heart of my meal because it is so versatile, tender and delicious! The only thing better than a chicken breast is this Ritz Cracker Chicken with a cheesy crispy coating and an easy homemade cheese sauce.
Ritz Cracker Chicken
Pin it your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Ritz crackers and cheddar cheese encrust a tender, juicy breast of chicken to create the perfect easy meal. This chicken dish is impressive enough for company and simple enough to make any day of the week. The crust reminds me of country fried chicken without the mess and hassle of pan frying.
I think everyone has a version of Ritz Cracker Chicken (or cracker crumb chicken)… I’ve been making it myself for years. When I saw this Crispy Cheddar Chicken version over at Jamie Cooks It Up, I knew that adding my favorite cheddar sauce would put the traditional dish over the top and I was right!
While I use chicken breasts and cut them into 3’s you can certainly make this dish using chicken tenders instead. I love using and egg/milk dip to make the cracker crumbs stick but you can baste your chicken with mayonnaise instead if you’d prefer.
To make this recipe a total breeze, prepare all of the ingredients before you even start. The following can be done before you get started to make prep quick and easy!
- Cut (and clean if needed) your chicken breast into tenders prior to starting
- Grease your baking pan (or line it with parchment paper)
- Prepare your ingredients (shredding the cheese & crush crackers)
You’ll want to crush the Ritz crackers to a fairly fine consistency to ensure even coverage on each piece. If you have two shallow dishes prepared (milk & eggs and cheese & crackers) this makes dipping the chicken a breeze.
The real secret to making this recipe amazing is double dipping the chicken. I go through and dip it all once and then dip it into the eggs and crumbs again creating a crazy good coating!
When the pieces are all coated you can top with any remaining cheese, crackers and a sprinkle of parsley. I love to use fresh parsley and other herbs in all of my meals but dried will work just fine in this case too.
While the chicken is baking is the perfect time to steam up some veggies and make the uber easy cheese sauce. This is so easy; simply combine the ingredients and microwave until smooth and creamy. Honestly if nothing else, this cheese sauce will become a staple in your household!
You can use parmesan cheese (or whatever cheese you have on hand) in place of cheddar if you prefer!
Ritz Cracker Chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 sleeves Ritz or Cheese-Its crackers crushed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh parsley
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut chicken breasts into 3 equal pieces.
- Crush crackers. Toss with cheddar cheese and garlic powder. Combine milk and beaten eggs in a separate small bowl.
- Dip the chicken into the egg mixture and then into the cheese & crackers. Repeat until all the chicken pieces are coated.
- Once coated, gently dip the chicken pieces into the egg mixture a second time and then into the crumbs again gently pressing the crumbs to adhere.
- Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Toss cheddar cheese and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add evaporated milk and microwave 45 seconds.
- Stir and microwave in 30-second increments until thick and creamy (about 90 seconds total).
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
When you are looking for a meal that is simple and delicious, give Ritz Cracker Chicken a try. I know it will become one of your favorites!
More Recipes You’ll Love
Inspired by Jamie Cooks It Up