Cheesy Taco Bake recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Cheesy Taco Bake will quickly become a family favorite on taco night! Ground beef, a creamy salsa mixture, and refried beans are layered to create this cheesy casserole – a spicy treat any night of the week.
This recipe will work great as party food, or for those times when everyone in the family is craving a menu change. Layered with all kinds of Mexican goodness, a taco bake like this can take the place of lasagna or a taco salad.
Cheesy Taco Bake
© CentsLess Meals
Pin it to your CASSEROLES BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Let’s Make It
This recipe comes together in stage with three separate layers of goodness. Start by preparing each mixture then layering together before baking.
- Ground Beef: Scramble fry ground beef in a heavy pot. Add seasoning, water and tomatoes. Simmer until liquid is reduced.
- Cream Cheese: Mix the cream cheese and salsa together. For extra spice use hot salsa!
- Refried Beans: In a saucepan, heat refried beans and mix in a 1/2 cup of the cream cheese mixture.
- Assemble it all: Layer all the ingredients with tortillas and top with cheese. Feel free to use jalapeno jack or sub out one of the layers with cheddar or another favorite.
- Bake: Cheese should be bubbly and slightly browned. Let the casserole sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
How to Reheat Taco Bake
Individual portions of Taco Bake can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven.
- In the Microwave: Make sure to use a plate cover or a paper towel on top to keep cleanup to a minimum, as there’s nothing worse than the sound of beans popping in your microwave. Reheat for a minute at a time until heated all the way through.
- In the Oven: Simply grease a baking dish and sprinkle casserole with extra shredded cheese to freshen it up. Cover with foil and reheat for about 10-15 minutes at 350°F.
Other Delicious Taco Toppings
This easy taco bake is delicious when made into a baked taco salad. Just chop it up, add shredded lettuce and a little taco sauce. Or serve it inside a baked tortilla shell and top it with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. No one will ever guess that this is not a completely new dish!
You can always drizzle with creamy guacamole dressing or zesty cheese sauce for authentic Mexican flavor! Garnishes like chilies, jalapenos, or green onions will bring out the best in this crowd-pleaser of a dish.
There are so many different ways to present this versatile dish, it’s hard to go wrong! Enjoy it with your family tonight!
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
- Beef Enchiladas – 30 min meal!
- Baked Taco Ring Recipe – only 5 ingredients
- Chicken Burrito Bowl – quick & easy dinner fix!
- Mexican Dip – delicious hot crockpot dip
- Texas Caviar – loaded with fresh & flavorful ingredients!
This Cheesy Taco Bake will quickly become a family favorite on taco night! Ground beef, a creamy salsa mixture, and refried beans are layered to create this cheesy casserole - a spicy treat any night of the week.
- 4 flour tortillas 8 if using smaller fajita style tortillas
- 1 pound ground beef cooked and crumbled
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes with chiles
- 16 ounces cream cheese room temp (2 x 8 ounce packages)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
Cook and crumble ground beef. Add taco seasoning, 1/4 cup water, and can of Rotel (including the liquid from the can).
Heat until liquid has mostly boiled down, then remove from heat and set aside.
Beat cream cheese with mixer until smooth. Add salsa and mix until combined. Set aside.
Heat refried beans in a saucepan and add 1/2 cup salsa/cream cheese mixture until thoroughly combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Coat a 9 x 13 pan with non stick cooking spray.
Spread 1/3 cup of ground beef mixture along bottom of baking dish. Top with 2-4 flour tortillas.
Layer half the bean mixture, half the salsa mixture, half the ground beef mixture, and half the cheese (in that order).
Layer 2-4 flour tortillas. Top with remaining bean mixture, salsa mixture, and ground beef.
Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)