This Brookie Recipe combines gooey, chocolaty brownies with a buttery chocolate chip cookie layer. It is a deliciously sinful combination that will leave you wanting more!
You can enjoy two favorites in one delectable dessert bar! This version of brookies cookies would be perfect with a peppermint mocha latte for an afternoon treat or served alongside pecan pie cheesecake bars and butterscotch bars on a dessert tray.
Best Brookie Recipe
Pin it to your DESSERTS BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
What Are Brookies?
Brookies are made by layering cookie dough on top of a brownie batter base for a delicious ‘double threat’ dessert that is irresistable. They are the perfect dessert for brownie lovers, who also have a soft spot for chocolate chip cookies!
How To Make Brookies From Scratch
The brookie recipe begins with a moist and fudgy brownie on the bottom topped with a chocolate chip cookie dough layer. It is a dessert lovers dream come true, the best of both worlds!
- Preheat oven and line an 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- Prepare brownie batter and cookie batter (as per recipe below)
- Fold brownie batter into the bottom of prepared dish.
- Drop cookie dough by spoonful on top of brownie batter and spread carefully.
- Bake, cool and enjoy!
- Quality ingredients like high quality cocoa powder and good chocolate chips will make your brownies taste outstanding!
- Use a combination of white and brown sugar for this brookie recipe. The white sugar will give the cookie a nice crisp outer coating, while the brown sugar will keep the cookie moist and add a depth of flavor as well.
- Room temperature ingredients will ensure everything blends together well, bakes evenly and will produce a better quality dessert bar.
ADDITIONS – add extra chocolate chips to the brownie base or the cookie batter because more chocolate never hurts! If you love nuts, try adding pecans, walnuts or almonds to the mix too. If you dare, add in candy coated chocolate pieces, raisins, or chopped pretzels. Whatever you crave, add it in!
TOPPINGS – brookie bars are delicious served all by themselves. But topped with ice cream, hot fudge, sprinkles and whipped cream, they are beyond amazing!
OTHER BAKING PANS – make this brookie recipe in a parchment lined muffin tin, dividing the batter evenly between the cups. Bake for only 20 minutes for a simple and easy way to serve this treat. Perfect for packing in a lunch box or for a bake sale!
Other Decadent Treats To Try!
- Slutty Cheesecake Brownie Bars – so delicious!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – a twist on a classic.
- Chocolate Mouse Brownies – so light.
- No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake – easy, easy, easy!
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – like grandma used to make.
Best Brookie Recipe
- Preheat oven 350˚F.
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper, spray with baking spray or grease with butter and set aside.
- Cream together butter and both sugars until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, and add vanilla extract.
- Stir in cocoa powder until combined, followed by the flour and salt. Stir.
- Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer:
- Cream together butter, brown and white sugars until well combined, for 1-2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in all purpose flour, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips. Set aside.
Assemble and Bake:
- Spread the brownie batter evenly onto the prepared pan and use a spatula to level.
- Drop cookie dough batter by spoonful over brownie layer evenly. Use a spatula to spread.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remember that brookies will continue to cook as they cool so be careful not to over bake. Check on them at the 30 minute mark.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooing rack.
- Stick the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips into the hot cookie layer. These will make the brookies prettier and the chocolate chewier.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.