No need to be a professional baker or cake decorator to make this adorable Dog-Shaped Cake!
The sweet cake is bound to make the kids happy at the next party. What’s more, this cake is such an easy recipe because it uses a boxed cake mix, ready-to-use frosting, and a few candies for the eyes and nose. The kids will love it, and you’ll love how easy it is to prepare!
Blue Puppy Cake
PIN IT to your DESSERTS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Best Birthday Cake
- Young and old kids alike will go crazy for this sweet dog-themed birthday cake. No special pans or molds are required, either!
- Why go on ‘patrol’ to buy a blue puppy cake when it’s so easy to DIY this simple cake design? Everyone will want to get their ‘paws’ on this recipe.
- Place blue frosting in small bags with a bottom corner snipped off so kids can decorate their own puppy cupcakes! Have bowls of black jelly beans and small cookie pieces out for decorating.
- For more fun and easy party inspiration ideas, check out our guide on how to throw the perfect summer party.
Ingredients and Variations
CAKE MIX Any cake mix will do for this puppy cake. White, yellow, or confetti cake mixes are the most popular but choose whichever is your birthday celebrant’s favorite flavor!
FROSTING Premade cans of frosting are time and cleanup savers. White frosting is best for the truest shades of blue, and red food coloring or gel can be used to make another famous ‘big red dog’!)
DECORATIONS Aside from black jelly beans and peppermint patties for the eyes and nose, why not try dark chocolate chips and mini Oreo cookies? Black licorice whips make super cute whiskers and strips of red licorice are cute as collars!
How to Make a Dog Shaped Birthday Cake
To Shape the Cake:
- Bake the cakes in round cake tins according to package instructions and let cool.
- Cut one cake in half. Ice the two halves together to form the body.
- Cut another cake in half and use it for the head and legs.
- Cut the last cake in half. Cut out a rainbow shape for the tail.
- Use the remaining pieces to form a snout and ears.
Phew! Now that is done, it onto the fun part!
- Tint some of the frosting blue.
- Frost the cake using a Wilton Icing Tool (per the recipe below).
- Add decorations like a collar, eyes, nose, and whiskers to complete the cake!
Tips & Tricks
- When shaping the cake, use small amounts of frosting to ‘glue’ the pieces together and then cover the entire cake with a smooth layer of frosting to hide any crumbs and make the ‘fur’ frosting look neater and cleaner.
- Use an electric mixer when adding the food coloring to the frosting. This creates an extra fluffy frosting and evens out the color.
- Pipe the ‘fur’ frosting in small portions in the direction that fur would grow. Practice on the back of the dog until you get the hang of it and then move forward.
More Party Ideas
- Mac And Cheese Hot Dog Casserole – an easy lunch for the kids
- Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn – so yummy!
- Sparkling Berry Lemonade – a refreshing drink
- Raspberry Lime Wine Spritzer – for the adults when the kids leave!
Blue Puppy Cake
- 3 boxes cake mix and the ingredients needed to make them
- 6 cans frosting
- mini york peppermint patty for the nose
- black jelly beans for the eyes
- Bake three 9" round cakes and let cool.
- Cut one cake in half and then ice the two halves together to form the body.
- Cut another cake in half and use one half for the head. Cut the remaining half in half again and use for the back legs.
- Cut the final cake in half and cut a rainbow shape part out. Then trim it down to create the tail. Use the remaining part of that portion to form the snout.
- Use the final half and cut it in half once more, and use as the ears.
- "Glue" each piece in place using icing. Cover the body with a base coat of frosting then pipe on the fur using a Wilton Icing Tool.