This popcorn bar recipe is so easy and makes the perfect party snack or holiday treat!
Sweet and crunchy popcorn is tossed with pretzels and M&M’s and then stirred into sweet melted marshmallows. Kids and grownups alike will not be able to resist digging into this fun snack. Make a double batch and freeze the bars for quick take-along snacks for any occasion!
What are Popcorn Bars?
- Similar to old-fashioned popcorn balls, this recipe can be easily cut into any-sized bars or squares. Then just wrap them up for a sweet after school snack or backpack surprise.
- Make popcorn bars for a fun and easy party activity. Let guests choose from a variety of add-ins and press them into lined muffin tins as a hand-held treat or party favor!
- So many different ways to make popcorn bars! Use whatever goodies (or leftover candies or cookies) you have on hand.
Popcorn Bar Recipe Ingredients
POPCORN: Freshly popped popcorn is always the best, but a bag of store-bought can be used in a pinch. Check out popping corn that comes in a multi-colored mix of blue, red, green, and yellow!
MARSHMALLOWS: A 7-ounce jar of marshmallow fluff can replace mini marshmallows for faster melting. Cut large marshmallows into smaller pieces so they melt faster, too. Fresh marshmallows are easier to melt and will be extra gooey!
PRETZELS: Mini pretzels have lots of crunch. Other crunchies to try are wheat Chex, Fiber One cereal, or Kix cereal. Crushed Nilla wafers or Oreo cookies are fun to try, too!
CANDY: Everyone loves M&M’s! Other fun candies to try are milk chocolate chips, caramel pieces, crushed candy canes, junior mints, and even gummy bears!
MIX-INS: Swirl in some peanut butter, Nutella, honey, or caramel sauce.
How to Make Popcorn Bars
- Combine popcorn, pretzels, and candies in a large bowl.
- Melt the remaining ingredients and then pour over the popcorn.
- Toss to combine and press into a pan (as per the recipe below).
- Sprinkle with remaining M & M’s, then cool, cut, and enjoy.
Perfect Popcorn Bars Every Time!
An air-popper machine or a microwave popcorn kettle will produce oil-free, sturdy popcorn which keeps it from collapsing as it’s mixed with the other ingredients.
Use the bottom of a measuring cup to gently press the mixture into the pan, or use your hands to press the mixture in by placing them in a sandwich baggie (great tip for the kiddos)!
Keep popcorn bars in a covered container at room temperature for up to 4 days (if they last that long!).
Other Tasty Treats!
- Nutella Pizza Recipe – easy 4 ingredient recipe
- Microwave Rice Krispie Treats – tasty no bake treat
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies – super simple!
- No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars – quick dessert bar recipe
- Nutella Stuffed Cookies – with a gooey surprise in every bite
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- ½ cup M&Ms divided
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 7 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan with butter and set aside.
- Combine popcorn, pretzels and half of the M&Ms in a large bowl.
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a saucepan over low heat while stirring. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and quickly toss to combine.
- Press into the prepared pan and sprinkle top with remaining M&Ms. Cool completely, at least 1 hour.