Make this homemade Muddy Buddies recipe for a crunchy, chocolaty treat.
Mix crispy Chex cereal with melted chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar for a crunchy sweet snack that will satisfy a crowd.
Best of all, this recipe makes a huge bagful, perfect for when those holiday crowds gather.
Easy and Adaptable Snack
- Everybody needs a storable pantry snack to reach for when last-minute guests pop in, and Chex Mix Muddy Buddies fits the bill to a T! The snack keeps for weeks and everybody loves it!
- This recipe is extra fun and easy to make. Little ones can enjoy shaking their own bags of Monkey Munch!
- Double up the recipe, or mix up Muddy Buddies over and over. It’s perfect for tying up in cellophane bags for Christmas stocking stuffers or gift basket items!
- Make the original recipe, or your own version every time with fun names, like Puppy Chow, Monkey Munch, or Reindeer Chow. The options for add-ins and variations are limitless! Try this strawberry muddy buddies recipe for something different!
- These microwave rice krispie treats or butterscotch haystacks are also fun to make around the holidays!
Chex Cereal – Any kind will do here. Rice and corn Chex is light and crispy, while wheat Chex is denser. Use what you like best! Flavored and sweetened Chex are also an option. Crispix is another brand that works equally well.
Chocolate – Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or candy melts. Divide the Chex cereal for different candy melt flavors, like butterscotch, peppermint, and peanut butter.
Peanut Butter – Use creamy or crunchy. Other nut butters work well too, such as almond, sunflower, macadamia, or mixed nuts.
Our Favorite Add-ins
This is a fun recipe that has so much room for your own signature! Toss in M&Ms, crushed peppermints, Reese’s Pieces, butterscotch or white chocolate chips, pretzels, toasted sunflower seeds, or peanuts! Mix them into the cereal along with the melted chocolate so they’ll stick.
How to Make Muddy Buddies
- Microwave chocolate, butter, and peanut butter in 30-second bursts stirring after each burst until smooth (per recipe below).
- Stir in vanilla, then pour the chocolate mixture over cereal and mix to coat.
- Transfer to a gallon bag. Sprinkle in powdered sugar and shake to coat.
- Spread out on a cookie sheet to cool.
Store Muddy Buddies in zippered bags or tightly covered containers in the cupboard, and consume them within two weeks. Keep them tightly covered between snacks to prevent them from going stale. Or, store in zippered bags in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Muddy Buddies Recipe
- Add cereal to large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter to a microwaveable bowl and mix well.
- Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Microwave again for about 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until the mixture is stirred and smooth.
- Stir in vanilla, then pour the mixture onto the Chex cereal.
- Once the chocolate mixture and cereal are thoroughly mixed, pour the mixture into a gallon sized ziplock bag.
- Add powdered sugar to ziploc bag and shake well.
- Once mixture is well coated, spread out on a cookie sheet or waxed paper to cool and set.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.