Learn how to cook a sweet potato in the microwave with this easy recipe!
Yes, you can get moist fluffy sweet potatoes table-ready in only minutes of cooking time in the microwave.
Forget the hot oven, foil wrap, and waiting an eternity for sweet potatoes to soften. With this simple method, you can enjoy sweet potatoes in no time!
Why Microwave a Sweet Potato?
- It’s versatile! With so many delicious ways to top and stuff sweet potatoes, you can turn it into a super healthy and practically instant meal that’s perfect for last-minute meal prep! Slather with butter and serve straight out of the microwave, or mash for use in your favorite sweet potato recipe.
- Nutritous! Sweet potatoes are the best for healthy antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Once you know how quick and easy it is to make delicious sweet potatoes in the microwave, this superfood just might become a regular part of your diet!
- Make ahead! Cooked sweet potatoes will store for 6 months or more in the freezer. When they’re on sale, make extras in the microwave, and store for future recipes and meals!
Just one (or at most, two) ingredients are all it takes for this easy recipe. No peeling required!
Sweet potatoes – Select firm potatoes that are free of dried, sunken, or shriveled areas, and have long, uniform shapes that will cook evenly. Try orange, golden, or even purple sweet potatoes, if available. They’re all sweet and delicious but have subtle differences in flavor and consistency.
Variations – Sweet potatoes are delicious by themselves topped with butter or a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. For a tasty side, try them mashed with a bit of cinnamon and cream. Or baked in a casserole with a crispy crumble topping, or mixed with apple pie filling!
How to Cook a Sweet Potato in the Microwave
Sweet potatoes are ready to enjoy in minutes when you cook them in the microwave.
- Use a fork to poke holes 2-3 times on each side of the sweet potato (as per the recipe below).
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook an additional 2 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve with a tablespoon of butter.
NOTE: Sweet potatoes vary in size and thickness, so expect to adjust the cooking time.
Serving and Storing Microwave Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are delicious all on their own, slathered with butter, but can also serve as the foundation ingredient in other recipes. For the classic holiday side, mash and top with pecans and marshmallows in a sweet potato casserole.
- Bakers know sweet potatoes can make a nice substitute for pumpkin puree since they taste so good with the same mixture of warming spices. They are a little more dry and dense, and may require upping the moisture or down-regulating the sweeteners, according to your preference. Try them as an ingredient substitute in recipes for muffins and pie!
- Cooked sweet potatoes will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days and for 6 months or longer in the freezer. Store in freezer containers or bags with the air squeezed out, and thaw at room temperature or in the microwave.
Have you tried this Microwave Sweet Potato recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Microwave Sweet Potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Wash and dry the sweet potato. Poke with a fork 3-4 times on each side.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Flip the sweet potato and microwave for an additional 2 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting open. Serve with butter.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.