Snowball Cookies are the easiest festive winter cookie to make. These buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cookies are made with 6 ingredients and are ready to eat in just 30 minutes.
The days are getting shorter and the air is getting cooler. The holidays are just around the corner and winter is too. It’s the best time of year to layer up, light the fire, gather with friends, and munch on yummy treats like these Snowball Cookies!
Pin it to your DESSERT BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
What are Snowball Cookies?
These rounded, white, sugary cookies are also known as Russian Tea Cakes or Mexican Wedding Cookies. They are a super buttery soft cookie containing just a few ingredients – butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, flour and pecans. The pecans are finely chopped and give the cookie a delicious nutty flavor.
Unlike other cookie recipes such as Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies or Peanut Butter Cookies, this Snowball Cookie recipe contains no eggs and the sugar used in the dough is actually powdered sugar, giving them a very light texture.
How to Make Snowball Cookies
You’ll start out by creaming the softened butter with an electric mixer. I recommend using butter that has sat on the counter for about 20 minutes. You don’t want the butter too soft or else your cookies will be difficult to roll into a ball and will spread too much.
Then, cream in the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Finally add in the flour and the chopped pecans. Once it’s all mixed, you’ll roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
It’s important to not over bake these cookies or they’ll be hard and crumbly. I recommend checking them at 8 minutes. When they start to look lightly browned on the bottom edge, remove them from the oven.
Immediately sprinkle the cookies with powdered sugar while they are on the baking sheet. Transfer the cookies from the baking sheet to a cooling rack after 5 minutes and allow to cool completely. Once the cookies are cooled, roll them in powdered sugar.
Yes, there is a lot of powdered sugar on the the outside of the cookie but there isn’t a ton in the batter so trust me, you will want it. Plus, this is what makes the cookie look like a snowball!
How to Store Snowball Cookies?
Once the cookies are completely cooled and rolled in powdered sugar, store in an air tight container. They will last up to 3 days. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
These cookies are perfect for adding to your holiday goodie plates! Save this Snowball Cookie recipe to make during the holidays. Enjoy!
More Simple and Delicious Holiday Cookie Recipes:
- Chocolate Peppermint Blossoms
- Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies
- Buttery Almond Cookies
- Molasses Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and salt until creamy. Beat in the vanilla and then the flour and pecans.
- Scoop dough into 1 tablespoon portions and roll into a ball. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are just barely browned.
- Sift powdered sugar over the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. Let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then move to a cooling rack. Once cooled completely, roll in a bowl of the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container once cooled.