This snowball cookie recipe is the perfect festive addition to your holiday dessert tray!
This classic recipe features plenty of chopped pecans mixed into creamy butter cookie dough, then rolled in powdered sugar for the perfect finish!
With just 6 ingredients and 30 minutes from start to finish, these snowball cookies are perfect any time of year!
Best Snowball Cookie Recipe!
- Snowball cookies are easy to bake or make ahead and gift to friends and family!
- Delicate snowball cookies burst with buttery flavor in every bite!
- Also called Mexican Wedding cookies or Russian Tea Cakes, snowball cookies are bite-sized butter cookies with chopped nuts that are dusted with powdered sugar so they look snowy.
- Snowball cookies, along with molasses cookies, chocolate peppermint blossoms and spritz cookies, are must-have recipes for Christmas cookie exchanges.
Cookie Dough – Leaving out the eggs and using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar makes these cookies extra light. Use your favorite gluten-free flour blend, if desired.
Pecans – Pistachios, walnuts, almonds, or any chopped nut can be used in place of pecans, be sure to chop them fine enough so the dough sticks together.
Variations – This recipe can be totally different every time you make it! Try adding toasted coconut, lemon, or orange zest in Step 2, if desired. Also delicious with mini chocolate chips added!
How to Make Snowball Cookies
Melt-in-your-mouth snowball cookies are the sweetest confection ever!
- Whip butter, half the powdered sugar, and salt until fluffy. Mix in vanilla, flour, and pecans.
- Roll dough into balls and bake until the edges are barely browned.
- Roll in powdered sugar once the cookies are cooled completely.
How to Store Snowball Cookies
Keep snowball cookies in a covered container for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Freeze them in zippered bags for up to 3 months. Or shape the raw dough into balls and freeze them on a cookie sheet before transferring them into zippered bags so they retain their shape.
Tips for Perfect Snowball Cookies
- For the lightest, most airy cookies, use softened butter in Step 2 and blend the batter until it’s extra fluffy.
- A cookie scoop or melon baller will give you perfect portion sizes without having to roll them in your hands.
- Once the cookies are formed and placed on the baking sheet, pop them in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to allow the butter to harden up so they keep their shape while they bake.
Have you tried this recipe for Snowball Cookies? Leave a comment and rating below!
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a bowl, beat butter, ½ cup powdered sugar and salt until creamy. Mix in the vanilla and then the flour and pecans.
- Scoop dough into 1 tablespoon portions and roll into a ball. Place onto an un-greased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are just barely browned.
- Sift powdered sugar over the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. Let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then move to a cooling rack. Once cooled completely, roll in a bowl of the remaining ½ cup powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container once cooled.
- For light and airy cookies, use softened butter in Step 2 and mix until extra fluffy.
- Use a cookie scoop or melon baller for perfectly portioned dough.
- Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes after placing on baking sheet so they will keep their shape while they bake.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.