Chile Relleno Casserole is baked with green chili’s, two kinds of cheese, and an egg batter to make a delicious and creamy casserole your whole family will enjoy.
Chile Relleno Casserole
Pin it to your CASSEROLES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This simple, yet delicious Chile Relleno Casserole recipe is loaded with cheddar and pepper jack cheese so it has tons of flavor and even a little bit of heat! It really is the perfect way to fill your family up any night of the week.
If you love casseroles then you need to try this Tuna Noodle Casserole, Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole, and we can’t forget about breakfast with this Tater Tot Casserole for fuel your families hunger.
What Is Chile Relleno?
Chile Relleno is a Mexican dish that generally consists of a stuffed, hot green pepper that is breaded in an egg batter, dredged in flour and fried. The pepper can be stuffed with meat, but cheese stuffed peppers are very common as well. This is usually served with a variety of sauces, such as a ranchero or enchilada sauce.
What Is In Chile Relleno Casserole?
This casserole takes traditional Chile Relleno ingredients, and layers them in a baking dish. It is faster and easier than the traditional method of making Chile Relleno, which makes this dish perfect for feeding a group or when time is tight.
Even though it is made with very simple ingredients, when layered together, this casserole really stacks up the flavor! You will need:
- 2 cans of whole green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup salsa verde
- garlic salt/pepper to taste
- diced jalapeños
- fresh chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
Let’s Make This Casserole!
This is a very simple and quick recipe to make:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and spray an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drain, then arrange half of the chilies on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with 1/2 cup each cheddar and pepper jack cheese.
- Repeat layer with remaining chilies and another 1/2 cup of both cheeses.
- In a medium mix bowl prepare the egg batter by whisking together evaporated milk, eggs, egg white, chile paste, flour, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Pour egg batter over chilies and top with salsa verde and remaining cheese.
- Bake, then garnish with desired toppings.
This easy Chile Relleno Casserole recipe is low in carbs, but if you want to make it a little more keto friendly substitute the all purpose flour with almond flour.
How Do You Store Chile Relleno Casserole?
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, allow the casserole to cool completely. Cover tightly with foil or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator where it will stay fresh for 2-3 days.
This casserole is the perfect make ahead or freezer ready meal. Cook, then cool the casserole completely. Cover and store in the fridge or freezer until ready to serve. If frozen, thaw first, then pop in a 300˚F oven for about 20-30 minutes until warmed through.
You can also quickly reheat single, thawed servings in the microwave at 30 second intervals until heated.
Delicious served for dinner or at breakfast and can be either a side dish or the main course. Either way, you are going to love each and every bite of this layered casserole! So the next time you are in need of an easy and delicious dinner idea, give this Chile Relleno Casserole a try. You will not be disappointed!
More Delicious Casseroles To Try!
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole – a traditional favorite!
Taco Shepherd’s Pie – classic recipe with a twist.
Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole – simple make ahead meal.
Eggs Benedict Casserole – so easy and perfect for a crowd!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – creamy and delicious!
Chile Relleno Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and spray an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Drain chilies and slice them in half lengthwise, and then in half lengthwise again. Arrange half of the chilies on the bottom of the prepared baking dish and top with 1/2 cup of cheddar and 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese. Repeat layer with remaining chilies and another 1/2 cup of both cheeses.
- In a medium mix bowl whisk together evaporated milk, eggs, egg white, chile paste, flour, garlic salt, and pepper. Pour egg batter over chilies and top with the salsa verde and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Garnish with diced jalapeños, fresh chopped cilantro, and sliced avocados.