Make a healthy and hearty steak stir fry that goes from the stovetop to the tabletop in minutes!
Tender strips of steak are sauteed with crunchy and colorful onions and peppers for a main course that the whole family will love!
It’s a high protein entree that is so delicious, while remaining budget friendly, served over a bed of rice, noodles, or low-carb cauliflower.
Easy Steak Stir Fry Recipe!
- Steak stir fry with peppers is quick, easy, and so delicious! Double the recipe for quick lunches all week long.
- Serve with rice or noodles, on a bed of greens, or in a wrap for an energizing workday lunch!
- This is a great recipe for using up leftover vegetables! Mix and match ingredients to create a new recipe every time!
- Budget-friendly enough to serve a crowd, cook in batches and keep warm in the crock pot and let guests help themselves!
Ingredients and Variations
BEEF: Strip loin, sirloin, and flank steak are the best cuts for this recipe. Chicken and shrimp are other tasty alternatives.
VEGGIES: Choose a selection of colorful bell peppers and onions for a pop of color. Other veggie ideas include mushrooms, baby corn, water chestnuts, snap peas, or carrots.
SAUCE: Stir fry sauce can be adjusted to your preferences by adding a dash of sriracha, and freshly minced ginger and garlic. Or, try a homemade teriyaki sauce that doubles as a marinade.
How to Make Steak Stir Fry
- Saute peppers and onions in oil. Set aside.
- Cook beef and garlic and then add the vegetables back to the pan.
- Add sauce and cook until heated through (as per the recipe below).
- Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
Tips for Success
For extra tender beef, slice it against the grain to break down the fibers. Place it in the freezer for about an hour so that it is easier to slice. Marinate the steak strips in the stir-fry sauce for up to 24 hours before cooking.
The peppers and onion can be sliced ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator until ready to use. Keep leftover steak stir fry in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks and cook from frozen on the stovetop on low heat or in the microwave.
Other Easy Recipes
- Pepper Steak – 30 minute recipe
- Braised Steak and Mushrooms – so tender
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry – made in one pan
- Beef Stroganoff Recipe – a favorite
Steak Stir Fry
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add peppers and onions to hot oil and cook for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to pan, then add beef and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add vegetables back to pan. Pour in sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Slice beef against the grain to break down the fibers and make it more tender.
- Place steak in the freezer for about an hour so that it firms up and is easier to slice.
- For extra flavor, marinate the steak strips in the stir-fry sauce for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- Slice peppers and onion ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days. Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
- Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.