Frito Pie Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Frito Pie has become the favorite go-to among new generation American families because of its ease of preparation and affordability! I mean, who doesn’t LOVE corn chips, seasoned ground beef and beans!
Traditionally, called a Texas Frito Pie, this is an easy crowd pleaser anywhere you go! Game night? Make this easy and delicious casserole and wow the crowd! You’ll be the hit of the night!
Frito Pie Recipe
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
What is Frito Pie?
This pie recipe takes on many shapes and mainly depends on where you ‘hail’ from. Frito Pie bake can be a full-on baked casserole that looks and serves like a lasagna, but also a little frito-pie recipe that can serve as a ‘grab-and-go’ meal, even still in the bag if you’re on the run to a special gathering or even a work potluck!
No matter where you hail from, this delicious, beefy pie casserole has evolved into a universally American dish! While it did originate in the Southern, Midwestern, and Southwestern United States, you can find the basic ingredients in any local supermarket: chili, cheese, and corn chips! But, why not add your own signature ingredients? Get creative while creating your signature dish that will keep everyone begging for more!
Some additional ingredients we recommend:
- sour cream
- green chilies
- salsa – change up the spice level of this dish by serving it with mild, medium, hot salsa!
How to Make Frito Pie
- Prep: Preheat your oven and prepare a 2-quart (9×9) casserole dish. Don’t forget to dice and chop up your vegetables!
- Cook: Frito taco pie is so easy to make, simply cook the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper together until fully cooked. Then add the remaining ingredients and simmer until everything is thickened.
- Layer: For a frito pie casserole, just layer two thirds of the Frito chips on the bottom of the casserole dish and scoop the ground beef mixture over the top evenly. Cover with shredded cheese and top with extra corn chips.
- Bake: Bake this dish until the cheddar cheese is melted and bubbly, then add sliced green onions for a garnish and a dollop of sour cream for each serving! You can always reserve a few Frito chips until the end to sprinkle on top for an extra crunch!
What to Serve with Frito Pie
Even though this casserole can totally stand on its own with a dollop of sour cream or salsa, why not try a marinated combination of onions and cucumbers or a clear, crisp salad of fresh greens with a brightly flavored vinaigrette!
More Delicious Casserole Dishes…
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – delicious but easy to prepare!
- Taco Casserole – spicy flavors that will dazzle your taste buds!
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole – perfect easy weeknight meal.
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – simply and tasty comfort food.
- Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole – super satisfying side dish!
A zesty ground beef filling topped with cheese and crispy corn chips makes a delicious casserole everyone will love!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 16 oz chili beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10.5 oz corn chips crushed
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cook ground beef, onion and bell pepper until not pink remains. Drain any fat.
Add the taco seasoning mix, salsa, chili beans with 1/2 cup water. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
Place 2/3 of the chips in the bottom of a 2qt casserole dish. Spoon ground beef over the top of the corn chips, spreading evenly.
Cover with the shredded cheese and top with remaining corn chips.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)