Shrimp Curry Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Shrimp Curry Recipe is easy to make, so flavorful and makes the perfect weeknight meal for your family!
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
What is Shrimp Curry?
Shrimp Curry is a Thai inspired dish that is creamy and delicious!. Shrimp is cooked in a coconut cream sauce along with vegetables like onion, red peppers and sugar snap peas. It is traditionally served over piping hot white rice.
It is a delicious restaurant style dish that you can make from home in no time!
How To Make Shrimp Curry
Like with any recipe, you should practice ‘mise en place”. It’s a French phrase meaning “everything in its place”. So have all your ingredients cut, measured, and ready to add to the pot.
This ensures you have all the ingredients needed, as well as keeps you extra organized!
- Prep – thaw shrimp in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain, then season with spices and lime juice. Prepare veggies, mince garlic and set aside spices.
- Cook – Saute veggies in oil as per recipe below. Add aromatics and seasonings, followed by coconut milk, shrimp and fish sauce. Cook until shrimp are pink in color. Thicken with cornstarch mixture if needed.
- Serve – Jasmine rice is delicious with this coconut curry shrimp, but your favorite rice variety will also work!
- While you can use shrimp with the tails on, you may want to purchase ones that already have everything removed; the shell, tail and vein. It is worth the extra cost and makes this dish so much easier to enjoy.
- Use full fat coconut milk instead of the light variety, for a rich creamy sauce.
- You do not have to stick to the veggies in this recipe. You can swap them out for ones you prefer or just use up the veggies you have hanging around in your fridge. Carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach… all would be great in this dish.
- This recipe is served over Jasmine rice but you could use rice noodles or even pasta if you like.
Other Delicious Recipes To Try!
- Shrimp Boil Foil Packets – super easy!
- Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta – perfectly spicy.
- Chicken Curry – made in the Instant Pot!
- Garlic Shrimp Pasta – family favorite.
- Chicken Pad Thai – delicious!
This flavorful Shrimp Curry Recipe is loaded with veggies in a creamy coconut sauce and served over Jasmine rice. It's the perfect 20 minute weeknight meal for the family!
- 1½ pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
- Salt & pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- ½ small onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 ½ cups sugar snap peas
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 13 ounces coconut milk full fat
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cornstarch + 1 1/2 teaspoon water (optional- for thicker sauce)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro chopped
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and lime juice. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
Over medium heat, drizzle oil in a large skillet. Cook onions for 3 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook another 2 minutes. Add sugar snap peas, garlic, ginger, and seasonings. Cook for about 30 seconds, then pour in the coconut milk and brown sugar.
Bring to a simmer then add shrimp. Bring back to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Stir in fish sauce (optional)
For a thickened sauce, combine corn starch with water then add to pot. Continue to cook another minute until thick.
Serve over rice and garish with cilantro or thai basil.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)