Chicken Tortellini Soup
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more yummy ideas!
This Chicken Tortellini Soup with spinach is one of my all-time favorites because the flavors are just so rich, it is loaded with veggies and the broth is so deliciously creamy.
Cheese tortellini is pretty popular in Italy and usually served as a dish on its own. However, in this recipe, I serve it in a soup form and could not be happier with the results. The flavors are outstanding and the taste is phenomenal.
I love to make soup all year long! So I try to integrate seasonal veggies into this chicken tortellini soup recipe to make it even more special. Try adding fresh peas and beans in the summer and carrots and zucchini in the fall.
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup?
This is probably one of the easiest recipes you can make. It is simple, affordable and even a novice cook will enjoy making it.
- Cook chicken pieces and set aside.
- To the same pot, cook the veggies till tender, then add aromatics.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, then add the cooked chicken and tortellini. Cook over medium heat till tortellini is cooked.
- Add cream and spinach, then season to taste.
Can You Make This Recipe In The Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! Making it in the slow cooker is so easy and delicious. The meat cooks over a longer period of time resulting in a rich and flavorful broth.
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker (except for the tortellini).
- Set the cooking time on LOW for 6 hours.
- 15 minutes prior to serving, add the tortellini to the Slow Cooker. This way they don’t overcook and get mushy.
Serve this chicken soup with cheesy breadsticks or a slice of crusty bread!
How To Store Chicken Tortellini Soup?
Creamy chicken tortellini soup stores very well in the refrigerator. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer the soup to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- This soup is a great way to use up leftover chicken, or you can use a rotisserie chicken just as well.
- Substitute turkey for chicken – it’s delicious too.
- Use seasonal veggies or stick to your favorites.
- Substitute other types of pasta in place of the cheese tortellini. Be mindful of the difference in cook times if you do. For example, fresh pasta noodles will cook very quickly compared to the cheese filled tortellini.
Other Heart Warming Soup Recipes
- Squash Soup – smooth & creamy
- Slow Cooker Leek Soup – garnish with cheese & bacon!
- Chicken Kale Soup – bold lemon and ginger flavors
- Cheeseburger Soup – perfect comfort food!
- Chicken Noodle Soup -ready in just 40 mins
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless/skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium zucchini cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package (9-ounces) three cheese tortellini
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place a large stockpot or Dutch oven, with oil, over medium heat.
- Once hot add chicken pieces and cook until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Remove chicken from stockpot and set aside.
- In the same stockpot, add onion, celery, bell pepper, and carrots. Cook stirring occasionally until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme, oregano and basil until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add zucchini, cook and stir for 1 minute. Then add chicken broth, bay leaves, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked chicken and tortellini. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tortellini are cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in cream and spinach. Then add lemon juice, and parsley, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately!