Broccoli Soup with Cheddar and Asiago
Servings: 6 servings
Broccoli Soup with cheddar and asiago is one of my favorite soups to make when it comes to colder weather. It is bright in color loaded with broccoli, making it the perfect hearty meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot cleaned and shredded
- 1 cup celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups light cream or whole milk
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 1 cup Asiago cheese freshly grated
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat add butter and melt.
Add diced onion and cook for a few minutes, until soft and translucent. Add shredded carrot and minced garlic.
Add diced celery. Add salt, pepper, and chopped thyme. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes, until veggies are tender.
Add chicken broth, stir and bring to a light simmer. Then, add broccoli florets. Simmer on low-medium heat until broccoli is softened, about 7-8 minutes.
In the same time, in a small bowl combine milk and flour and whisk until smooth.
Add the mixture to the soup and stir to combine. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup to the desired level of creaminess.
Remove the saucepan from heat, and stir in cheeses until fully melted.
Serve immediately garnished with more cheese.
Calories: 462kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 1282mg | Potassium: 549mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 6830IU | Vitamin C: 56.8mg | Calcium: 500mg | Iron: 1.4mg