These Crock Pot Baked Beans are made from scratch, super easy, and loaded with bacon. Delicious navy beans are loaded with bacon, onions, bell peppers, tomato sauce, spices, and of course bacon to give you a delicious side dish that’s perfect for barbecues!
© CentsLess Meals
Crock Pot Baked Beans
PIN IT to your Dessert board to save it and share it!
Be sure to follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest!
I’ve never been too crazy about baked beans but will eat them with my burger if served at a barbecue. With this crock pot baked beans recipe, I like to sometimes even add a spoonful onto my burger! Unheard of, right?
Sometimes baked beans are made with what seems like a gallon of sugar or just taste like they’re from a can. Is it too much to ask for baked beans that don’t taste like a dessert and are made from scratch?!
With this Crock Pot Baked Beans recipe, the answer is no! These are perfectly sweetened, are loaded with bacon, and they’re made using dried beans. No cans here and still super easy.
So, despite being called “crock pot baked beans”, these aren’t actually baked which is awesome because then you don’t heat up the whole house when it’s already 100+ degrees outside!
If I am planning a barbecue, I like to throw these in the crock pot in the morning while I make potato salad and my other side dishes. Once it’s time to grill, your crock pot baked beans will be ready to serve! It could not be easier.
Which Beans Do You Use to Make Baked Beans?
This crock pot baked beans recipe uses dried navy beans which means you’ll need to prep the beans by rinsing and then soaking them overnight. Or if you’re forgetful like me, you can do the quick method where you boil them for an hour!
Then all you have to do is cook the bacon with the onion and green pepper, add in the other ingredients and place it all in the slow cooker to work it’s magic. Eight hours later, your home will smell of sweet beans and bacon and you won’t be able to resist stealing a spoonful or three!
I find the addition of onions and green peppers to really finish off the dish and bring everything together.
Even if you are not barbecuing, baked beans make a great side dish for Mexican night, or even as a quick snack! Try adding some hot dogs for a delicious treat.
This easy baked beans recipe is bound to impress at your next barbecue. Serve your Crock Pot Baked Beans alongside some juicy burgers or Baby Back Ribs and you’ll be in barbecue heaven. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 1 pound bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced, optional
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- Rinse the beans and then soak overnight (at least 8 hours) or boil for 1 hour. Drain and then add to the slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon, onion, and bell pepper (optional) over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until bacon fat renders enough to soften the onion.
- Stir in the salt, mustard, black pepper, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce, brown sugar, and molasses and then add it all to the slow cooker with the beans. Mix in the broth and then cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally if possible.
- If you want the sauce thicker, let the beans cook on high uncovered for the last 30 minutes
More sides to enjoy at your barbecue: