This Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is easy to make and delicious. A quick and simple from scratch sloppy joe mixture is topped with cheese and tater tots for an easy recipe everyone loves!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Pin it your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole combines ground beef with a zesty tomato sauce, topped with crisp tater tots and melted cheese. This is a quick and delicious meal for a busy weeknight and is perfect any time of the year!
My family loves sloppy joes and it is one of our staple ‘quick and easy’ meals! I knew that my family would love this recipe with the addition of tater tots! They absolutely devoured it!
The ingredients for the sloppy joes from scratch are simple and are items that you likely have on hand. In a pinch you can also use a sloppy joe mix, either in the dry mix variety or from a can like Manwich.
This Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole recipe starts with lean ground beef, onions and celery… you can add extra veggies in if you’d like to make this meal a little bit bigger. Mushrooms, canned corn, extra peppers or even diced zucchini are great additions! As with most recipes that use ground beef, you can substitute any ground meat including ground turkey in this recipe.
Casseroles are a one dish meal meaning clean up is simple at the end of the night and they can be prepared ahead of time and baked right before eating.
If you are lucky enough to have some leftovers simply cover the pan with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate. You can wash the pan the following night – even better!
If you’re feeding a hungry crowd, this Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is the perfect dinner recipe that everyone agrees on!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 28 ounce bag tater tot frozen potatoes 28 oz
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Brown the ground beef, onion and celery in a skillet. Drain any fat.
- Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and salt to the browned beef and onion mixture. Stir to combine and let simmer covered about 5 minutes.
- Pour the meat mixture into the prepared pan. Top with half of the cheese. Top the meat mixture with the frozen tater tot potatoes and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until bubbly and tater tots are browned.
This Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is just great when served with cornbread because the flavors really complement each other. Add a side tossed salad or cole slaw, and you have made a quick meal that you can easily prepare even after a full day at work! You’ll be pleasantly surprised by this Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole that’s actually fun to make! You and your household will be thrilled with how wonderful it tastes — so enjoy!
More Recipes You’ll Love!
Recipe inspired by Buns in my Oven