This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
With so many tasty layers, this tex-mex inspired dish has it all. Tender and juicy shredded chicken, crunchy chips, melted cheese and loads of veggies that add extra texture and flavor. It is as much fun to serve as it is to eat! Perfect served with Quesadilla Sauce or Grilled Corn Guacamole.
Pin it your APPETIZERS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Shredded Chicken Nachos are so delicious and they make the perfect party food. What we love most about this easy and tasty appetizer is that its made with budget friendly ingredients.
What Do You Need To Make Chicken Nachos?
- Tortilla chips – flour or corn tortilla chips work equally well.
- Chicken – cooked chicken meat is used in this recipe. Use chicken that can be shredded, such a rotisserie chicken. You can also boil one or two chicken breasts and shred them up.
- Taco seasoning – this is optional, but if you have some on hand it will add great flavor.
- Cheese – we like using cheddar cheese, but you can use a combo of cheddar and fontina. Provolone is a great addition, or use a Mexican blend cheese.
- Veggies – to continue with the tex-mex influence, we add corn, olives, black beans and tomatoes. Jalapeno is added for some spiciness.
How To Make Chicken Nachos
- Start by preparing all the ingredients.
- Layer the tortilla chips, chicken, taco seasoning, cheese and another layer of chips.
- Top it all with the veggies and remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese has melted and everything is heated through.
These baked nachos are delicious served alone but, add your favorite toppings, and you will create a restaurant style chicken nachos feast like no other! Here are a few toppings that we enjoy and highly suggest:
- salsa – mild, medium or hot – we love it all!
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- green onion
- chopped lettuce
- hot sauce
How To Serve Nachos
Baked nachos are usually served hot straight out of the oven, surrounded by toppings in individual dishes on the side. Alternately, you can pile the toppings directly onto the baked nachos if you like. This makes it super easy to serve and all the flavours mix together.
First, we do not recommend preparing this appetizer in advance because the tortilla chips will loose their crunchiness. But you can definitely prepare the ingredients ahead of time and place in the fridge until ready to assemble. Then simply layer everything and pop into the oven.
Love your leftovers? If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. To reheat, sprinkle some extra cheese on top, and bake covered for about 10 minutes at 350˚F.
A hearty appetizer can sometimes replace a main dish, which is just one of the reasons we love these loaded chicken nachos! Piled high with veggies, cheese and chicken, it really is like having an entire meal!
Other ‘Snack Like A Meal’ Appetizers To Try:
Loaded Mashed Potato Balls – filled with cheese.
Buffalo Chicken Sliders – to feed a hungry crowd.
Bacon Cream Cheese Biscuits – easy to make!
BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites – so delicious!
Biscuit Taco Pockets – the perfect snack or lunch!
Chicken Nachos are loaded with tender taco seasoned chicken, lots of tortilla chips and melted cheddar cheese. Black beans, corn and olives add extra flavor and make them absolutely irresistible.
- 1 large bag tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can corn drained
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray a large cast iron skillet or 2 quarts baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Layer the ingredients: Arrange tortilla chips in a single layer on the bottom, cover with shredded chicken then sprinkle with taco seasoning.
Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, then another layer of chips. Top with black beans, corn, tomatoes, olives, jalapeño and the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and nachos are heated through.
- Garish with preferred topping and serve hot.
Nutrition is calculated without garnishes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)