Creamy Cheddar Asiago Broccoli Soup crockpot recipe
- 2 heads of fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or shredded multi-cheese blend
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 24 oz jar prepared Alfredo Sauce such as Classico's Light Asiago Romano Alfredo
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- Approximately 6 to 8 cups of chicken stock or broth or 1 1/2 to 2 boxes of store-bought chicken stock or broth
Remove the broccoli flowerets, place them in the crockpot. You can discard the broccoli stalks, though using them will give your soup more body, flavor, and vitamins. To use them, first cut off the fibrous outside skin, then chop the tender inner flesh into 1 inch chunks.
Peel and chop the onion, add it to the broccoli.
Add the pesto and enough chicken stock to completely cover the vegetables.
Cover. Set the crockpot on low and let it simmer for at least 6 hours, or until the broccoli is very tender and you are ready to eat.
When you're ready to eat, you can either puree your soup in a blender or leave it chunky. Either way is delicious!
To puree it, let the soup cool and puree it in batches using either your blender or food processor. Add it back to the crockpot or in a large pot on the stovetop.
Add all of the cheeses and approximately half of the jar of Alfredo sauce. Reserve the other half of the jar of Alfredo sauce for another meal.
Heat gently, stirring frequently, until all of the cheeses are melted. Taste it, adding more cheese as desired.
Garnish with additional shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheeses, or 1/2 tsp of pesto sauce. This soup is terrific when served in homemade bread bowls, or with biscuits or rolls on the side. It's even better the next day!